We ordered a sofa on phone from DFS day before yesterday and called this morning to cancel the order. The sales guy argued that the order simply can't be cancelled and it says on the contract sent in the post that 'It is a binding contract'. I argued back that it comes under distant selling regulations but this guy was adamant that it can't be cancelled. I stood my ground and told him in no unambiguous terms that for me it stands cancelled and I don't want to buy. I then called Office of Fair Trading - Consumer section and they told me that according to Consumer Protection (Distant Selling) Regulation 2000 the trader is obliged to refund within 7 days of delivery (if the product is not yet delivered then you are more secure).

When we booked on phone the sales guy did not clearly told me of my cancellation rights which the Office of Fair Trading told me is a 'Criminal' offence.

You can take the following course of action :

1) Call dfs and tell them to cancel, if they persist, just write a recorded letter to their head office. The sample letters can be downloaded from wwww.adviceguide.org.uk - search for sample letters and pick the right one for you.

2) If you paid the advance on phone via a credit card, call your credit card company and tell them that the transaction is disputed and refer to Section 75 of the consumer credit card act 1974.

3) Lodge a complain to Office of Fair Trading - Consumer Helpline at 08454040506.

Monetary Loss: $2000.

Had an Experience with DFS?

Comments

Doncaster, England, United Kingdom #663685

We are sorry to learn you are unhappy with your order. We would love to see if we can help so please contact us on 01302 330365 and ask for the Customer Service Department.

Kind regards